LAN And Wi-Fi
A local area network (LAN) is a network that connects computers and other network devices in a relatively small area, typically a single building or a group of buildings. Most LANs connect workstations and personal computers and enable users to access data and devices (e.g., printers and modems) anywhere on the network.
Assignment of IP addresses
The following scheme is being followed to assign IP addresses:
- By default, automatic IP addresses are assigned to network devices in academic, housing areas and some of the common office areas of the hostels. Users can, however, request static IP addresses through ISTF helpdesk.
- Static IP addresses are assigned to each of the LAN ports in the hostel rooms. The IP address for one’s room can be found using the tool given at the Static IP details (Hostel) page.
The access to Internet is provided through authentication via NetID and password at the login page.
Wi-Fi or WiFi is a technology for wireless local area networking with devices based on the IEEE 802.11 standards. Devices that can use Wi-Fi technology include personal computers, smartphones, tablet computers, digital audio players and modern printers. Wi-Fi compatible devices can connect to the Internet via a WLAN network and a wireless access point.
One can connect to the WiFi network using two Service Set Identifiers (SSIDs), IITGN-SSO (Only for IITGN Employee and Students) and IITGN-GUEST (Only for Guest), using one’s NetID and password. ISTF recommends the use of IITGN-SSO for IITGN Employee and Students because it requires one-time configuration on a particular device. On the contrary, IITGN-GUEST for IITGN guest, which requries the user to login to the portal every 72 hrs.
Connecting via IITGN-SSO
Connecting via IITGN-GUEST
- Browse through the WiFi networks detected on your device and select IITGN-GUEST.
- Once connected you will be redirected to a login portal. If not, open a browser window, it will automatically redirect to login page or manually browse https://internet.iitgn.ac.in/PortalMain
- Enter your NetID and password to connect.